Email us @
Education- B.Sc., Chemistry, Karnataka University, Dharwad (1969)
- M.Sc., Analytical Chemistry, IIT Bombay (1972)
- Ph.D., Analytical Chemistry, IIT Madras (1977)
Courses- CH 239 Modern Instrumental Methods of Analysis
ResearchMy major interests lie in environmental pollution control and determination of trace and ultra trace metal ions and organics in environmental samples. We are developing activated carbon fabric (ACF) and modified granular activated carbon materials (MOGAC) for the respiratory masks that are widely applicable for many gases. The technology has been transferred to HEG Limited, Bhopal and is now in commercial production. MOGAC are also useful in removing toxic heavy metals like chromium, arsenic, lead and anions such as fluoride and nitrates. Using MOGAC a continuous adsorption pro-cess has been developed for the removal of chromium. We are also exploring the use of activated alumina for the removal of fluoride from the RO rejects.
Our other research areas include effluent characterization and generation of energy from the desic-cates in coconut industry. We have demonstarted for the first time that coconut wash water and co-conut water can be successfully combined for anaerobic digestion that generates enough methane with good calorific value. Another active research front is the reduction of foul smell from the landfill sites that have been identified by the Bangalore Metropolis. We are also developing green analytical methods for the determination of sub-microgram levels of Mo and Fe in industrial effluents.
Awards & Honors- Best engineering material award for the development of activated carbon fabric
- Rashtriya Gourava prashasti for achievements in Research and Education
1. Mudakavi JR, Narayana, BV and Kiran R, Characterization and utilization of iron rich dry ash from an electric arc furnace. Curr. Sci. 76, 473-475, (1999).
2. Mudakavi, JR and Narayana, B.V., Toxic heavy metal contamination of the soil and biota: part 2: Environmental considerations, Ind. J. of Environ. Protect. 18, 101-108, (1998).
3. Welz, B, Schlemmer, G and Mudakavi, J. R., Palladium nitrate - magnesium nitrate modifier for electrothermal furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Part 5: Performance for the determination of 21 elements, J. of Anal. Atomic Spectrometry 7, 1257-1271, (1992).
4. Welz, B, Schlemmer, G, and Mudakavi, J. R., Palladium nitrate - magnesium nitrate modifier for electrothermal furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Part 3: Determination of mercury in environmental standard reference materials, J. of Anal. Atomic Spectrometry 7, 499-503 (1992).
5. Mudakavi JR, Spectroscopic determination of traces of mercury with 1,10-phenanthroline and eosine, Analyst 11 (1983).
1. JR Mudakavi, Principles and practices of Air pollution control and analysis, I.K.International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (2010).
2. JR Mudakavi, G V Gore, Hazardous waste management, ISTE Publication, Bangalore (2006).